DAY 2--VR, Lebanon Factory, Wonderstruck, and a Cocktail Party

DAY 2 
Thursday May 18

            We arrived in Cannes today for the second time ready for another round of films. First we headed to the Virtual Reality booth to go see a VR film titled Dream Channel. We sat down in our swivel chairs and put on our headphones and goggles. This was my first experience with virtual reality and to be honest did not enjoy it that much. This film reminded me of being inside of a 2000’s punk rock video game. There were girls throwing themselves at “me” and I was also being kind of stalked by creepy looking mimes. After the first 5 minutes I had already had enough, but no, this was a 35-minute-long film and I did not realize until the end. (May or may not have closed my eyes underneath the goggles to take a short nap.) At the end we all just looked relieved it was over, but then we stayed for a Q/A with the director and that is when it made sense. He said that his inspiration for this VR film was a night out in Amsterdam on mushrooms. He hallucinated girls throwing themselves at him and something about Marilyn Monroe. One VR experience down, many to go… hopefully better next time.
            After this, I joined Shelby and Kennedy in a film called Lebanon Factory, which was actually 4 short films about one country by 8 directors who paired up in teams of 2 of different nationalities. I was pleasantly surprised about these films and really enjoyed them. We then went to go beg for tickets for the world premiere of Wonderstruck, and after a couple hours waiting we all managed to get tickets! As we were waiting in line, we quickly realized that we were slightly over dressed. Turns out that for the premieres that are before 7pm, you don’t have to be in black tie wear. #awkward. We got seats a little bit closer for this film (still in balcony), but this time I could see Julianne Moore and the cast of the film right below me. Throughout the film, I found myself not watching it, but watching the cast as they watched the premiere of their own movie. This is becoming a common theme for the premieres.

            After this, no time to waste, we changed out of our gowns and into our dresses for the AmPav cocktail party. It sure was packed, but in a good way—every person at this event has some important role in the film industry. The thirty of us stood there, dispersed in the crowd of successful producers, directors, actors, and more. I spoke to many people at this event, and quickly learned that we are equally as important and desirable to them as they are to us. I met a studio owner in Savannah, a producer from Britain, a student from Hawaii, and many more.

Comments

Popular Posts